BJP which is an abbreviation of Bharatiya Janata Party is one of the two major National Political parties in India along with the Indian National Congress. The President of BJP or any other party is the Chief Executive Authority who is responsible for chairing party’s meetings and important decisions.
The current serving President of BJP is Mr. Jagat Prakash Nadda who is serving as the National head of BJP since January 20, 2020. Here we are going to learn about the formation of India’s Ruling party BJP, basic requirements to be a President and who have been the national presidents of the party since its formation in 1980s to 2022.
Formation Of Bharatiya Janata Party
Bharatiya Janata Party came into existence in 1980. Its origin lies in Bhartiya Jana Sangh which was formed by the collaboration of Dr Shyama Prasad Mukharjee and Hindu Nationalist arm Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in 1951. Then in 1977 after the condition of emergency, Jana Sangh merged with several other parties as a result Janata Party was formed.
In the 1977 General elections, Jana Sangh defeated the then ruling party Indian National Congress. After three years in power, the Janata party dissolved in 1980 with the members of the erstwhile Jana Sangh reconvening to form the BJP. After the Ram Janmabhoomi Movement the party grew in strength on the back of the Ram Janmabhoomi movement. Following victories in several state elections in 1996 the BJP became the largest party in the parliament. Under the BJP Government then party leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee served for 13 days as the Prime Minister of India in 1996 for the first time.
In the 1998 general election, under the leadership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the BJP-led coalition known as the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) formed a government that lasted for a year. In the next General elections the NDA government, again headed by Vajpayee, lasted for a full term in office; as the first non-congress government to do so.
Who Can Be Appointed As The National President Of The Party?
- A member to be elected as party’s President needs to have been in the party for at least 15 years.
- The President is nominally elected by an electoral college composed of members drawn from the party’s National and State councils.
- The term of President for 3 years and individuals may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
- Also a person who is the President of the party is not eligible to hold any usually post within a government.
Facts On BJP National Presidents
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the first President of BJP at the time of its inception in 1980.
- Then in 1986, Lal Krishna Advani was sworn in as the party president and has a record of longest serving president of BJP for over three different periods. A total of 11 people have served as the president of the BJP, including Rajnath Singh and Amit Shah.
- Amit Shah has also served for two terms as National President of BJP.
- In January 2020, Jagat Prakash Nadda was appointed as the president.
List Of BJP National President Since 1980-2022
|1980-1986||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||Madhya Pradesh|
|1986-1991||Lal Krishna Advani||Gujarat|
|1991-1993||Murli Manohar Joshi||Uttar Pradesh|
|1993-1998||Lal Krishna Advani||Gujarat|
|1998-2000||Kushabhau Thakre||Madhya Pradesh|
|2001-2002||Jana Krishnamurthi||Tamil Nadu|
|2002-2004||Venkaiah Naidu||Andhra Pradesh|
|2004-2005||Lal Krishna Advani||Gujarat|
|2005-2009||Rajnath Singh||Uttar Pradesh|
|2013-2014||Rajnath Singh||Uttar Pradesh|
|2020-Incumbent||Jagat Prakash Nadda||Himachal Pradesh|