Whatever you call them: dad, daddy, father, pops, or papa, they have a tremendous impact on our lives. Father’s Day has long been observed on the third Sunday of June to appreciate fathers all throughout the world. So, as you’re wondering what to get your father for Father’s Day, check these interesting facts about Father’s Day you may not know.
- On June 19, 1910, the first Father’s Day was observed. It was introduced in the United States by Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington, to honour her own father, a Civil War veteran and widower who had raised six children.
- In 1924, US President Calvin Coolidge was the first to advocate for Father’s Day. In 1966, US President Lyndon Johnson made a proclamation designating the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day, and in 1972, US President Richard Nixon signed a bill making Father’s Day permanent.
- Although the custom of honouring fathers on the third Sunday in June originated in the United States, it is currently observed as Father’s Day in over 40 nations worldwide. Some countries, however, observe Father’s Day on March 19, which is also the feast day of St Joseph, Jesus’ earthly father.
- Although flowers are more typically linked with Mother’s Day, they also play an important role in Father’s Day, particularly roses. It was customary to wear a red rose to signal that your father was still alive, whereas a white rose meant that he had passed away.
- In Thailand, Father’s Day coincides with the king’s birthday, which falls on December 5. It is customary to perform good deeds to commemorate the day, with many people donating blood. The day is also commemorated with fireworks.
- In Germany, Father’s Day is known as Männertag, and it is celebrated by drinking copious amounts of beer and eating traditional foods. Accordingly, it can get rather rowdy.
- Behind Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s Day, but just ahead of Easter, it is the fourth most popular holiday for greeting cards.
- The most popular item of apparel for a Father’s Day gift is a tie, which comes in third place after electronic gadgets and a day or lunch out. After that, gift cards are the most popular Father’s Day present for dads.